Arrowroot powder is a healthy powdered starch used for thickening soups and sauces.
The history of the arrowroot plant is going back to as far as 7,000 years. People used it for different purposes from eating to use it on scabs. Recently, it is commonly used as a healthy alternative to cornstracth. Arrowroot powder is great a thickener for everything from gravy to puddings to soups.
Particularly, arrowroot is a starch, which is made from the West Indian arrowroot rhizomes. We can also find this plant in Florida, Australia, South Asia, Brazil and Thailand. The name is going back to ancient history, when people treated their wounds with this healthy remedy which they received from poisoned arrows.
Furthermore, this healthy carb has amazingly high nutrition content. Its nutrition level is lot higher than other starches’. Therefore, it’s an excellent substitute for cornstarch and flour to use it as a thickening agent in sauces, soups, gravies and puddings. Moreover, it is lot better for the taste of our food. Unlike cornstarch, it does not give a starchy taste to any food.
Other than the fact, that it provides a better and healthier cooking experience, arrowroot powder has many health benefits. It is easily digestible and also gives your hair a nice gloss.
Here we summarised some of this magical arrowroot’s health benefits:
• It is easy to digest; therefore it can be used in baby foods.
• It also can ease digestive system and helps indigestion or acidity. It’s an effective remedy for diarrhoea and relieves nausea and replaces nutrients that are lost due to diarrhoea and vomiting.
• It lowers cholesterol.
• You can also treat wounds with it, as well as it is a perfect herbal treatment for smallpox and sunburn. It helps with different bites like spider or scorpio.
• Last but not least, it is a real skincare remedy. Arrowroot makes hair glow, bouncy and soft. It also gives a flawless skin and helps you get rid of and prevent acnes.
The easiest way of giving you enough of this amazing healthy low carb starch is if you make a biscuit.
A quick and healthy Arrowroot Biscuits recipe:
• ¼ cup butter room temperature
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• one egg
• a teaspoon vanilla
• ½ cup arrowroot flour
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• pinch of salt
How to prepare this healthy biscuit?
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl and make a creamy mix.
3. Add vanilla and egg to the cream and mix them together.
4. Put flour, baking powder and salt into another bowl, mix them well.
5. Mix the dry ingredient with the creamy mixture. Use hand mixer to get the best outcome.
6. Sprinkle small amount of flour on the surface and put the dough on it.
7. Use hand roller and roll the dough into a 1-2 cm tall layer.
8. Use a round cookie cutter to get perfectly round pieces of the dough.
9. Place baking paper on a cookie tray and place the cookies on it roughly 1 cm apart.
10. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
11. Take the tray out and let them cool.
12. Enjoy it!
Makes about 30 cookies.
Note: If you’d like to use it as a thickener, just mix 1 tablespoon into cold paste and slowly stir in 1 pint of boiling fluid, flavour.
Ingredients: arrowroot powder