Chinese Five Spice Seasoning Mix
The Five Spice Seasoning Mix used in Chinese cuisine will always bring in that warm, spicy yet sweet flavour to most of your dishes. Let’s say, roasted meat, stir fries or even spiced cakes or cookies. The most common spices that you will find in the five spice mix will include fennels, cassia, cinnamon, cloves and Szechuan peppercorns.
In other spice mix, you may find an addition of ginger, celery seeds and nutmeg. The warm, tingly, spice flavour is by virtue of the Szechuan peppercorns, or ginger. On the other hand, the cool and somehow sweet taste is the cloves flavour effects. With such a quality spice blend, you will be assured of making a delicious warm dish.
To tell the truth each of the ingredient spices of the Chinese Five Spice Seasoning Mix has a list of health benefits that are essential to the human body. For instance, the fennel seeds and also Szechuan peppercorns are rich source of antioxidants while cinnamon is a good source of minerals as well as anti-inflammatory agents.
Furthermore this Five Spice Seasoning Mix can be used to season a variety of dishes. The most common ones are the roasted and braised dishes like Char Siu. The Chinese Five Spice Mix can also be a great addition to marinades and enhance flavour and shine in the dishes that have fatty meats. It is also a great alternative for for example traditional pumpkin pie spice.
Our Favourite Chinese Five Spice Stir Fry
Ingredients (4 serves)
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2.5 tbsp honey
- 1 inch piece root ginger
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 500g chicken
- plain flour
- vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 4 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- Dice the chicken into smaller pieces
- Mix the sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic and Five Spice Powder in a bowl
- Marinate the chicken for 2 to 3 hours in the refrigerator
- Drain the chicken and then toss in the flour
- Heat oil in a wok, and add the chicken when the oil is hot
- Pour the marinade in a saucepan and add all the vegetables. Heat until the sauce has thickened
- Toss the chicken in the sauce and serve with rice
Ingredients: star anise, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, anise
The product was made in factory processing peanuts, nuts, celery, mustard seeds and sesame seeds.