A finely ground coconut flour which is reduced in fat but still high in fibre. A gluten free wheat flour alternative with minerals.
A low carb wheat flour alternative which has 40% more fibre than a regular white wheat flour. Even if you don’t change to a gluten free diet, you can still replace a quarter of your baking flour to coconut flour to reduce the carbohydrate you eat. Moreover, it will increase your daily fibre intake dramatically, which your tummy will thank you for.
When you replace flour in recipes, you can do it with a mixture of low carb baking flour or gluten free flour in combination with this coconut flour. But with the right amount of liquid and correct recipe, you can use this low carb flour alternative alone as well. When you replace wheat flour, you can reduce the amount of total flour in your recipe with around 40%. You should use 1 egg in your recipes for every 30g of raw coconut flour.
The variety of use is endless of this gluten free flour. You can use it in savoury cooking, but mostly it has its own place in sweet recipes. Let us share with your our favourite gluten free shortbread recipe.
Gluten free shortbread recipe with coconut flour.
the original recipe is from Sukrin.
How to prepare a gluten free shortbread:
- Mix the flours and salt and add the sweetener as well.
- Add the coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla extract to the mixture and form a nice dough.
- Between two parchment paper pieces roll it to a round shape and place the dough into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Before placing it into the oven, prick the dough with a fork and mark wedges.
- Bake it for 20 minutes at 170 degrees. Cool it a little bit before cutting into wedges.
Please see below the average nutrient content of raw coconut flour in 100g:
Energy: 1481 kJ (354 kcal)
Protein: 19 g
Carbohydrates: 25 g of which natural sugar is 18 g
Fat: 14 g of which saturated fat is 13 g
Fibre: 40 g
Salt: 0 g