Everybody loves a vegan and gluten free cupcake – even if not on gluten free or vegan diet. The sweetness comes from the healthy carob powder which is a natural sweetener.
This vegan gluten free cupcake flour is more than it sounds. It is cacao free, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, wheat free, soy free, corn free, potato free, rice free and without any added sugar. Also, it is low in fat but high in fibre at the same time. And the best is you don’t have to add any additional fat for this cupcake flour when making desserts.
What is carob powder and why is it good that this flour mix has it?
Carob powder is similar to cocoa but at the same time totally different. Carob comes from the pod of a tree and it is dried and roasted just like the cacao bean. This is then grounded into a powder which you can use as a substitute for cocoa, one-for-one in recipes. However, carob powder has a unique taste and texture which you will love. It is sweet and mild at the same time and thanks to the fibres inside, people from the Mediterranean – where carob is from – used it to treat the upset stomach.
So by adding carob powder into this gluten free muffin mix, you will have the sweet and mild chocolaty taste in your sponges.
Carob Cupcake Recipe / Sponge Cake with Carob Powder Recipe
Ingredients: (for 12 cupcakes or a 7 inches cake)
250g gluten free cupcake flour with carob powder
170ml lukewarm water (if you are making a sponge cake base for cakes, add an extra 10ml water or coconut oil)
25ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
70g erythritol powder or equivalent powdered sweetener
(if you would like to make muffins, add 250g pitted sour cherry or other berries)
How to prepare a carob cupcake or sponge cake with carob powder:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and spray oil into the cupcake trays or cake pan.
- Combine the water and lemon juice, then add the erythritol powder as well.
- Start mixing the gluten free cupcake flour into the liquid mix with a hand mixer until the batter is nice and fluffy.
- Pour the batter into the pan(s). If you would like to make fruity muffins, this is the time to include the pitted cherry or other berries.
- Bake it for 25 minutes at 180 degrees without a fan. If you included fruits, you can reduce this time to 20 minutes depending on how juicy your fruits are.
- Once baked, let them cool on a cooling rack.
If you prepared a sponge cake, cut it half and make a delicious vegan and gluten free Victoria sponge cake. You can find some help here.
Nutrition details of Szaffi Free Vegan Gluten Free Muffin Mix and Sponge Cake Flour in 100g:
Energy: 1416 kJ (335 kcal)
Protein: 8 g
Carbohydrates: 68 g of which natural sugar is 5 g
Fat: 1 g of which saturated fat is 0.5 g
Fibre: 10.8 g
Salt: 0.2 g
Ingredients: Gluten-free flours (buckwheat flour, malt flour, sorghum), tapioca starch, carob powder, fibre (psyllium husk flour), volume enhancer (sodium bicarbonate), acidity regulating agent (citric acid), aroma (crystal vanillin)