A gluten free flatbread recipe which is high in fibre and easy to handle. This flatbread flour mix can fit the vegan diet as well as the gluten free diet and makes a wonderful Hungarian traditional langos.
Finally, a gluten free flatbread flour mix which is egg free, dairy free, wheat free, yeast free, corn and rice free and potato free. Moreover, it is a vegan flour mix which is free from any animal product. Thanks to the combination of buckwheat flour, malt flour and sorghum flour, this mix is high in fibre and completely free from wheat.
Do you know the famous traditional Hungarian fried bread, Langos? If your answer is ‘no’, then please read more now. ‘Langos’ is traditionally a deep fried bread and a Hungarian food speciality. Normally, you use water, milk and flour to make the dough for Langos, but not with this flour mix. Furthermore, there is no need to add sour cream, mashed potato or yoghurt to the mix, only some water. In old traditions, Langos wasn’t always a deep fried bread, but a flat bread which resourceful housewives baked on their brick oven as a side product of bread. So if you would like to avoid using too much oil at home, you might want to switch to an oven-baked Langos.
Our gluten free deep fried bread recipe – gluten free Langos recipe:
Ingredients (2 servings):
140g vegan, gluten free flatbread flour
20ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
100ml lukewarm water
virgin coconut oil to form the dough and frying
- Heat the virgin coconut oil in a larger pan.
- Combine the ingredients together starting with the liquid ones and then let the dough rest for 10 minutes. You should get a soft dough, but it will be easier to handle after some rest.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough few times and then divide it into two parts.
- With oiled hands and on an oiled surface, flatten both doughs into 6 inches wide ‘pizzas’.
- Fry them in hot oil, 4-5 minutes on each side. Don’t let them alone in the hot oil, they can get burnt easily! Once they have a nice, golden colour, remove the access oil from their surface.
You can serve it with dairy-free cheese and plant-based cream, depending on your taste.
Nutrition details of Szaffi Free Langos Hungarian Flatbread Flour Mix in 100g:
Energy: 1381 kJ (327 kcal)
Protein: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 63.2 g of which natural sugar is 1.8 g
Fat: 1.2 g of which saturated fat is 0.6 g
Fibre: 13.5 g
Salt: 1.8 g
Ingredients: Gluten-free flours (buckwheat flour, malt flour, sorghum), tapioca starch, fibres (bamboo fibre meal, psyllium husk flour), volume enhancer (sodium bicarbonate), salt, acidity regulating agent (citric acid)